Order & Returns
Lightology is committed to your complete purchase satisfaction. Because we want you to be a Lightology customer for years to come, we strive to provide an unparalleled in-store or online shopping experience. As such, we have created a number of ways to help manage your order.
*Please be sure to open, and perform a detailed inspection of your Lightology order within 48 hours, or two business days of receiving your order. Lightology cannot be held responsible for any missing, or damaged goods if we are not notified within this time period. If you suspect that your Lightology order was damaged during shipment, please review the DAMAGED GOODS section of this page and contact us right away at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 312-229-7425. Please be sure to include your name, address, Lightology order number and the items damaged.
1. ORDER PAYMENTS – What methods of payment does Lightology accept?
Lightology accepts the following: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Check via mail, electronic wire transfer, or open account upon approval. Cash is accepted for in-store purchases.
2. ORDER STATUS - How can I check the status of my Lightology order?
You can email us for the status of your order at email@example.com or call us at 312-229-7425. Please be sure to include your name and Lightology order number. You can also check order status online. This is listed under your account order history.
3. ORDER ARRIVAL – What should I do when my Lightology order arrives?
Please be sure to open, and perform a detailed inspection of your Lightology order within 48 hours, or two business days of receiving your order. Lightology cannot be held responsible for any missing, or damaged goods if we are not notified within this time period. If you suspect that your Lightology order was damaged during shipment, please review the DAMAGED GOODS section of this page and contact us right away at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 312-229-7426. Please be sure to include your name, address, Lightology order number and the items damaged.
We highly recommend hiring a qualified electrician to install your lighting fixtures. Lightology is not responsible for any product damage or defects incurred due to faulty installation.
4. DAMAGED GOODS / MISSING PARTS – What should I do if my Lightology order arrives damaged or is missing parts?
We understand that items can be damaged during the shipping process. We also understand that from time-to-time, something may arrive missing parts or components. Our damaged goods / missing parts policy and process is designed to deliver to you a resolution in the timeliest manner possible, at no expense to you. To make this happen, we do need a little help from the customer. This is our Damaged Goods return process:
- 1. Please be sure to open, and inspect your Lightology order within 48 hours, or two business days of receiving your order. Lightology cannot be held responsible for any missing, or damaged goods if we are not notified within this time period. If you suspect that your Lightology order was damaged during shipment, please contact us immediately at email@example.com or call us at 312-229-7426. Please be sure to include your name and Lightology order number. Please include a photograph of the damaged shipment.
- 2. Lightology will open a Damaged Goods claim with the shipping company (UPS or FEDEX) on your behalf, and provide you with information on the next step – getting the damaged shipment to the shipping company.
- 3. Following, we request that you either drop the shipment off with the shipping company, or make the shipment available for the shipping company to pick-up within the shipping company’s 30 day claim window. The shipping company will then inspect the shipment to determine if it was damaged during the shipping process.
- 4. After the shipping company’s inspection is complete and a determination is made that the product was damaged during shipment, Lightology will immediately do one of the following:
- Ship a replacement fixture to you free of charge. Note - If immediate replacement is required, please send us a photograph of the damaged shipment. Upon receipt, we will ship you a new fixture via a new order. There is no cost to you unless the shipping company denies the damage claim.
- Issue store credit to your account in the amount of the original order towards a future purchase.
Note: If the shipping company determines that the product was not damaged during shipment, the customer may choose to have the shipping company dispose of the product, or have it returned to them at their own expense.
Note: Failure to follow the damaged goods procedure for a damaged item may result in a charge for the replacement item.
5. DEFECTIVE GOODS / PRODUCT WARRANTY – What should I do if my product is defective?
We understand that sometimes products have a manufacturer’s defect. All items (excluding bulbs) are offered with one year Lightology warranty. Any qualifying defective item purchased from Lightology that is returned within one year of purchase will be repaired or replaced at the company's discretion. Repairs for items that are still under warranty will be covered at no charge. A copy of sales receipt may be required if the sales transaction cannot be found in our computer system. This is our Defective Goods / Product Warranty return process:
- 1. Defective goods claims must be filed with Lightology within the 1 year Lightology warranty period, from date of delivery. To file a defective goods claim, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 312-229-7426. Please be sure to include your name, address, Lightology order number and the name of the defective item.
- 2. Lightology will work with you to arrange for on-site product repair, or complete product replacement.
- 3. If on-site repair is not an option, you will be sent by email a pre-paid UPS shipping label to return the product back to Lightology. After receiving the label, you have 10 business days to drop the shipment off with UPS, or arrange for UPS pick-up. Please include all available parts, and original packaging if available.
- 4. Upon inspection and final approval by Lightology that the returned product is defective, a replacement product (same as original, or an alternate selection) will be shipped as soon as possible. Lightology will pay for shipping the replacement back to you.
- 5. Should you prefer to be issued a store credit towards a future purchase, that credit will be issued within 7 days of final determination that the product was defective.
Note: Any defects deemed to be caused by improper installation or product modification in any way disqualifies the product from a defective goods return. Additionally, defective product claims made beyond 1 year of product delivery will not qualify for a defective goods return. Failure to follow the defective goods procedure above for a defective item may result in a charge for the replacement item or store credit.
6. PRODUCT RETURN / EXCHANGE – Can I return my purchase to Lightology?
We understand that sometimes, items you purchase are simply not right for your environment. They do not match your décor, or you simply do not like them. If you are unsatisfied with a product for any reason, you may return the item to Lightology within 30 days of delivery, or exchange it for something else. We want to ensure you get the right product for your space and our unparalleled selection of contemporary lighting products from around the world helps make this happen. Please refer to the PRODUCT RETURN / EXCHANGE PROCESS below for information on how to initiate a return. Orders placed for pickup are considered shipped upon notification that the order is ready for pickup. Orders not picked up within 30 days of notification are subject to a 2% per month storage fee and/or a 50% restocking fee.
Products Not Eligible for Return/Exchange. Sorry, we cannot accept returns on:
- Incandescent bulbs
- Custom orders / special orders
- Floor models
- Large orders (single fixtures over $5,000, orders totaling over $5,000 on multiple quantities of the same fixture)
- Overstock items
- Open box items
- Closeout items
- Any product that has been modified, installed, or used in any way (including cut, clipped or stripped wires)
- Items not in resalable condition or items missing the original packaging
- Items not purchased from Lightology
- Items not purchased by the original customer (we require the original purchase receipt)
Products Eligible for Return/Exchange:
Products eligible for return/exchange include items in original, new, uninstalled condition with all original parts, tags, and packaging. You may return any item that qualifies under these conditions within 30 days of delivery. To initiate a return, please refer to the PRODUCT RETURN / EXCHANGE PROCESS section below, or contact us at us immediately at either email@example.com or 312-229-7426.
Some manufacturers charge restocking fees on returned or exchanged products. However, Lightology is working with all our partner brands to offer you the best possible return/exchange terms. Return/Exchange terms are noted on each product page. Depending on the brand and the product, restocking fees can be:
- 0% restocking fee on Preferred Brand purchases. Shop with confidence with a selection from Lightology’s Preferred Brands. Restocking fees never apply to eligible returns / exchanges on purchases of our Preferred Brands. You are only responsible to cover the cost of return shipping back to Lightology. You can browse our selection of preferred brands here. Details about a product’s return policy may be found on each product page.
- 25% restocking fee of original purchase price on some brands / products. Details about a product’s return policy may be found on each product page. You are responsible for the cost of return shipping back to Lightology.
- 50% restocking fee on some brands / products and made-to-order purchases from some brands. This restocking fee will be deducted from your refund/credit. You are responsible to cover the cost of return shipping back to Lightology. Details about a product’s return policy may be found on each product page.
7. PRODUCT RETURN / EXCHANGE PROCESS – How do I return my product to Lightology?
Products eligible for return/exchange include items in original, new condition with all original parts, tags, and packaging. You may return any item that qualifies under these conditions within 30 days of delivery. To initiate a return, please follow this PRODUCT RETURN / EXCHANGE PROCESS:
- 1. Request a Lightology Return Number (RN#). Product Return Requests must be filed with Lightology within 30 days of product delivery. To file a product return request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312-229-7426 to request a RN#. Please include your name, address, Lightology order number, items to be returned, and the reason for your return.
- 2. Ship the product back to Lightology. In most cases, we will send to you a UPS shipping label (pre-paid by Lightology) to return the product. The cost of shipping the product back to Lightology plus any applicable restocking fees will be deducted from your refund, exchange or store credit.
- 3. Please follow these points to ensure a successful return to Lightology:
- To help us create the proper pre-paid UPS shipping label for the return, please have the original box and packaging available. We will need to know box size, and approximate shipment weight to issue the label. Often these measures can be found on the original inbound shipping label.
- You will be sent by email a pre-paid UPS shipping label to return the product to Lightology. After receiving the label, you have 10 business days to drop the shipment off with UPS, or arrange for UPS pick-up.
- Please use the original box and original packaging for your return. Include all parts and components. We need the product and packaging to be in new, original condition when it arrives at Lightology, so be sure to include all original packing materials and tags included with the product.
- In addition to the UPS label, please include the RN# for your return, as instructed by your Lightology returns consultant. To maintain the product’s new condition, do not write directly on the product’s packaging.
- Ship the product back to Lightology using the pre-paid UPS shipping label we send to you via email. You have 10 business days to drop the shipment off with UPS, or arrange for UPS to pick-up the shipment.
- Shipments without a RN# will not be accepted.
- Send confirmation of shipment to Lightology. Simply email your tracking number, and original RN# directly to email@example.com. This way, we can monitor the progress of your return, and potentially speed the return process.
- 4. When Lightology receives the item, we will inspect it.
- 5. Upon inspection and final Return approval by Lightology that the returned product is in original, uninstalled, unmodified, re-sellable condition with the original packaging, you will receive a store credit or refund. In some cases, Lightology will begin an RGA (Returned Goods Authorization) process with the fixture’s manufacturer.
- Lightology store credit or a refund will be issued within 7 days of final RN# approval by Lightology. Please note that it may take an additional 4-7 days for your financial institution to post the refund to your account. Refunds will be made via the same method used to purchase the product from Lightology, less the cost of shipping back to Lightology.
- In cases where Lightology begins an RGA process with a manufacturer, Lightology store credit or a refund will be issued within 7 days of final RGA approval the manufacturer. Refunds will be made via the same method used to purchase the product from Lightology. Please note that it may take up to an additional 7 days for your financial institution to post the refund to your account.
- 6. On returns of Preferred Brands, no restocking fees apply. Only the cost of shipping the product back to Lightology will be deducted from your refund, exchange or store credit.
- 7. Other items are subject to a 25% or 50% restocking fee as noted on the product page. This fee will be deducted from your refund, exchange or credit. The cost of shipping the product back to Lightology will also be deducted from your refund, exchange or store credit.
Note: If an item is damaged on its way back to Lightology, we will inform you that the item was received damaged, and hold the item for 30 days. It is then the shipper’s responsibility to file a damage claim with the shipping carrier, and to inform Lightology about what to do with the damaged item. Should no instruction be received within the 30-day hold period, Lightology will either donate or destroy the item.
Note: Items shipped to the wrong address, or returned without the assigned RN# are subject to an automatic 25% restocking fee.
8. ORDER CANCELLATIONS – What if I need to cancel my Lightology order?
You may cancel an order that has not shipped, unless it is a special order or customized product. Any cancellation fees imposed by the manufacturer will be your responsibility and will be deducted from any refund. To request an order cancellation, please contact our customer service team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-883-6111. Please be sure to include your name, address, Lightology order number, items to be cancelled, and the reason for your cancellation. You will receive an email detailing your cancellation request, followed by another email detailing if the cancellation request was successful. Please allow up to 72 hours to receive your cancellation confirmation.
Please be aware that if your order is already in route from its original location, it cannot be rerouted, redirected, or cancelled. Should you wish to return the item, please follow our PRODUCT RETURN / EXCHANGE PROCESS.
Note:Do not refuse delivery of non-damaged goods as this will result in up to a restocking fee. Additionally, delivery refusal may also result in the loss of your product and may negate the possibility of a refund. You may also be charged for roundtrip shipping costs.
9. PRODUCT REPAIRS & REPLACEMENT PARTS – Does Lightology repair fixtures not covered under warranty?
Items not under warranty will be inspected to determine if they can be repaired. After inspection, you will be provided with the total cost to repair the fixture. This cost shall include labor, @ $42 per hour, as well as all materials with one-hour minimum charge. In some cases, the total repair or replacement part cost will not be known until Lightology consults with a specific manufacturer.
Lightology only performs repairs on, or secures replacement parts for fixtures that were purchased from Lightology. Before returning an item to be repaired, please contact our customer service department at email@example.com or call 773-883-6111 for a valid Return Number (RN#). Lightology’s PRODUCT RETURN / EXCHANGE PROCESS applies to items returned for repair.
10. BACKORDERS – What happens if my item is on backorder?
Before you decide to cancel an order due to backorder, we urge you to first contact our customer service department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-883-6111. Often, manufacturers may state that an item is backordered, while in reality the item has already shipped, or will be ready sooner than noted. Alternately if an item is truly unavailable for the specified extended period of time, we apologize in advance for the delay and will work with you directly to find a suitable alternative.
Do you have a catalog you can mail me?
At this time, Lightology does not have a catalog to mail out to customers. We do, however, have specification sheets from all of our suppliers that can be download from our website as needed.
What is Lightology's Price Match Guarantee?
Lightology wants you to be confident that you are receiving the best prices anywhere by shopping with us. If you find the same exact product advertised for less by one of our competitors within 30 days of your purchase, we will gladly match that price including shipping and handling.
Please note that our Price Match Guarantee applies only to the identical product from the same manufacturer. The competitor must be an authorized dealer of the product and it must be a stock item, available for shipment and not on extended back order. A website link or written quote from the competing vendor for the same product(s) shipped to the same address must be sent to Lightology. Sales tax, shipping and handling will be factored in to determine final price. Price Match Guarantee does not apply to clearance items. Other restrictions may apply. For more information, please call 866-954-4489 or email email@example.com.
How do Lightology.com prices compare to Lightology's showroom prices?
Our website and showroom share the same computer system, so shopping on the web provides the same everyday low prices you will find in our showroom.
Pricing or Product Description Discrepancies
We make every effort to assure the accuracy of the pricing and product information on our website. From time to time, pricing or product information may be inaccurate. In such cases, we reserve the right to cancel your order. A complete refund will be made for any items that have not yet been shipped. In the event of inaccurate product information, our sole responsibility will be to accept the product return and provide a customer refund.
How much will my shipping charges be?
Lightology offers free ground shipping on most retail web lighting orders over $50, shipped within the continental U.S. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and internationally are available for an additional fee. Next Day Delivery is also available for an additional charge -- the amount will be added to your order as you proceed to checkout, and will be determined by the state your order will ship to. We must receive the Next Day Delivery order no later than Noon Central Time. Any order received after that will go out the next business day. Sorry, free shipping does not apply to sale items, clearance items, mirrors, oversized items or furniture.
For Trade orders, a shipping charge equal to 8% of the order price will be assessed.
Can Lightology ship products internationally?
We can ship items internationally. Freight quotes will be done on a per order basis. Once we receive your order, we will determine the freight charges and notify you promptly. All freight & duty charges on international orders were the responsibility of the customer. You can also have us ship to a freight forwarder of your choosing.
Do I have to pay sales tax on my purchase?
If you are located in the state of Illinois and do not have a resale tax ID number, then you will be charged sales tax on your purchase. If you are located outside of the state of Illinois, no sales tax will be charged.
Sales Tax on Trade Orders
Is sales tax charged on trade account purchases?
If you are located in the state of Illinois and do not have a resale tax ID number, then sales tax will be charged on orders. If you are located outside of the state of Illinois, you will not be charged sales tax.
Do you offer special pricing to the Trade?
We do offer trade privileges for trade professionals who are members of the design industry such as lighting designers, architects, interior designers, store designers, electricians, developers, contractors and exhibit houses. To apply for trade privileges, fill out this online form or fax your application to 773-883-6131.
Do you offer quantity pricing?
Yes, Lightology may offer quantity pricing for some orders. Generally a minimum quantity of 50 units of the same fixture need to be ordered to qualify for the discount.
Does Lightology offer custom fixture design?
Yes, Lightology does have customization capabilities. We work with hundreds of manufactures from around the world (From Italian glass 200 fixture min. to local art glass 25 fixtures min.) to produce the exact fixture you desire. We also have engineers on staff that can draw up just what you need. We will need to know the quantity that you are interested in, the time frame in which you are working and what exactly you need. Please fax us a drawing or concept to 773-883-6131, or email us your drawing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I email you or send you my blueprint and have Lightology do the lighting layout and quote?
Yes, you can! Lightology has AutoCad 2000, so you can email us your drawings by using this web form. You can also mail drawings to 1718 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago IL 60614. Lightology has 1 Master Electrican and 6 ALA Lighting Specialists on staff, as well as 3 people who have been certified through the IES. Our owner Gregory Kay, who also founded Tech Lighting, has won two of the top international lighting design awards -- the 1988 Guth award and 2000 LightFair Best New Fixture award.
We will quote your based on your blueprints at no charge, for homes. Lightology's in-house lighting design firm -- can also create custom lighting designs for you. Contact Drew Goldman by phone at 312-229-7437 for rates.
Ordering Non-Inventory Items
It it possible to order something that I do not see on the website?
Lightology has access to thousands of fixtures that are not currently shown on our website. Email us at email@example.com or fax us at 773-883-6131 with what you are looking for, and we will provide you with Pricing/delivery/suggestions/ and options.